Monday, October 15, 2007

Interview Song



Who are some of your biggest literary influences?

I am a rather nosy passenger.
I ride on a lot of public transportation.
I try very hard not to judge
my fellow passengers.
I think they try not to judge me.
I am pretty sure they do
judge me though,
as I them.
I find that I am most nosy
about their choices in reading material.
In fact, I find it to be
a rather telling, if not shallow,
method of judgement;
I wholeheartedly
endorse it.
For instance, if I see someone reading
a Lemony Snicket novel,
then I slip them a manilla folder
containing my unfinished screenplay
Vanguard For Dollars’.
Or, if I see someone reading
a Kurt Vonnegut novel,
then I hand them a silkscreen picture
of an asshole,
& then I tell them ‘I made that.’
Or, if I see someone reading
a David Eggers novel,
then I look away from them,
with all due velocity,
towards the sunburnt girl
who has just put down her copy
of ‘Hell’s Angels’,
in order to hurriedly clean
her glasses.
Or, if I see someone
reading a Jeanette Winterson novel,
then I simply curl up
upon a neighbouring seat,
rest my temples upon
their trustworthy thigh,
& ask them to tell me
a story.

No comments: