Wednesday, June 6, 2007

A Letter to Hathor

Dear Hathor,

Do you remember when you asked me: Which Egyptian god would you be, & why? Well, I’d like to finally go on record: I want to be Duamutef. I know he’s not the flashiest of deities, but he’s been on intimate terms with death for a very long time. He is known as the god of funeral proceedings, see, & his job was to guard the extracted guts of noteworthy mummies. Recently exhumed hieroglyphic records suggest that Duamutef cared for his gut-children a great deal. There is also proof that he went so far as to craft earthenware jars for them to live in. As far as we know, Duamutef never decorated these jars with images; however, there is proof that contemporary artists often decorated their walls with his image. His image was that of a jackal’s head perched upon a mummy’s body. He looked like integrity personified. So Hathor, when you consider my childhood dream of owning a used record shop, you’ll probably find my choice of deity to be a complete no-brainer. Come to think of it, this choice may actually have a complete brain of its own. Anyway, I'm sure that whatever kind of brain it turns out to be, that it is safely nestled within the confines of a laminated sleeve. I’m also sure that some clerk has dutifully filed it under "F" for Folk, or maybe, under "B" for Blues. I miss you baby, so please come back home.

Sincerely,
Ryan

No comments: