Wednesday, June 13, 2007

The Break Room (part two)



Jasmitha said, “I am so tired, I want to open up my shoes.” Then she laughed. “But I am afraid.” She made a face, and then said “that lady will catch me with open shoes.” Jasmitha laughed some more. “She always catches me feeling better.”

“You mean, Stella?” I asked, slightly distracted. I was busy reading Breakfast of Champions, so I sort of had bosses on the brain. I was also considering a potential wall-hanging made out of the novel’s illustrations. I figured it would have great potential as a conversation-starter.

“Yes” said Jasmitha, who kicked slyly kicked off her shoes, and sighed. “Stella makes me breath hard, but I like her. She taught us about how to do things on our first day.” She paused a moment to laugh. Her left nostril made a silent, little bubble. She didn’t seem to notice the nose-bubble.

“And there were so many words,” Jasmitha continued, “her words were making my heart come out of my mouth. It went like plop.”

“What does like plop mean?” I asked.

Jasmitha smiled mockingly, and said “I thought you were supposed to be smart.”

No comments: